Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I'm Back with Content and Everything

The boys at Every Day Should Be Saturday have provided us with a BlogPoll roundtable. Of course, I am not an official member of the BlogPoll yet, but I need to start writing again so that Brian will approve my application for next season allowing Tech to get at least a single #1 vote every week.

1. Education. List the region of the country you were born in, what universities you attended and at least one other you would have attended if your alma mater didn’t exist.

I was born in Raleigh, NC, but moved to Columbus, GA when I was 10 years old. I lived there full time until leaving for Tech in ’96 and my mom moved out in ’01 when I graduated. I have a BS in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Tech.

Tech wasn’t actually my first choice for where I would go to college, but finances forced me to stay within the footprint of the Hope Scholarship. Under those rules, I would have gone to UGA (a terrible, cold sweat inducing thought) if GT didn’t exist. If money hadn’t of been an issue, I would have followed in my grandfather’s, father’s, uncle’s, and lord knows who else’s path and gone to UNC.

2. Sports Affiliations. List your top 10 favorite teams in all of sports in descending order. For instance, your alma mater’s football team may be number 1, but perhaps there is a professional team that squeezes in before you get to your alma mater’s lacrosse team.

#1 – Georgia Tech Basketball
#2 – Georgia Tech Football
#3 – Atlanta Falcons
#4 – Atlanta Braves
#5 – Atlanta Thrashers
#6 – Georgia Tech Baseball
#7 – Atlanta Hawks
#8 – Uh . . . hmmm . . . Georgia Tech Volleyball
#9 - . . . . . . . . . Georgia Tech Softball
#10 - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Georgia Tech Women’s Basketball
(Dear god, that gets tough towards the end. I mean I had to resort to women’s sports.)

3. Movies. List the movie you’ve watched the most, your favorite sports related movie, the movie you secretly love but don’t like to admit it (possibly a chick flick or b film), and the movie you were (or still are) most looking forward to from this summer’s season.

Most Watched – Wow, this is a really tough call, because I have spent so much time re-watching movies that it’s ridiculous. I would say over the course of my life though that it’s more likely than not The Empire Strikes Back. (Yes, I am living stereotypes.)

Sports Movie – Orson’s answer of Major League was a fine choice, but for me it was slightly edged out by Hoosiers.

Secret Love – I’m going to go over the easy b-flicks, because there is usually something in there that you can find to use as explanation for your enjoyment and still be able to look your friends in the eyes afterwards. Nope, I’m going to man-up and admit that I like Steel Magnolias. A strong southern woman raised me and something about that movie just resonates with me on several levels. Of course I am burning my guy card as soon as I finish this posting. Rules are rules.

Anticipated - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Just another nail in the coffin for the ninja.

4. Music. List your favorite band from middle school, high school, college and today. Also, as with the movies, include the song you secretly love but don’t like to admit. If Nickleback is involved in any of these responses, please give a detailed explanation as to why, god, why.

Middle School – I went through a seriously strong metal phase and got hooked on Ministry.

High School – I went from Metal to the forefront of Emo (without the faggy haircut and glasses) and listened to a ton of Weezer.

College and Today – These are the same and probably shall be for always, but I (re)discovered the Beastie Boys in college and I haven’t looked back.

Secret Song – My greatest shame was listening to “Cry Me a River” on the radio and really liking it before learning it was Justin Timberlake.

5. Books. Favorite book you’ve finished, worst book you’ve finished and the book you really should read but haven’t gotten around to it.

Favorite book is another tough call, because I also have trouble ranking truly great books that I’ve read. So I’m cheating and throwing out some names that rank up there:
Favorite Book(s): A Confederacy of Dunces, Ender’s Game, Fight Club, Stranger in a Strangeland, A Storm of Swords, Boyd: The Fighter Pilot That Changed the Art of War, and Snow Crash.

Worst Book: I covered this before and will still keep my answer as Catcher in the Rye until I read it again.

Should Read: There is so much out there that it’s hard to call. I really limited myself to Sci-Fi and Fantasy (yes, stereotypes again) and I’ve been working on expanding my horizons. This list includes Freakonomics, A Book of Five Rings, The Life of Pi and many many more.

6. Travel. Favorite city you’ve ever been to and the one place you still must visit before you shuffle off this mortal coil.

Favorite City: Even with many of the wonderful European cities that I’ve been to I still love New York City out of all of them. I don’t know if I could ever live there, but it’s truly an awesome place to visit.

Must Visit: Sydney, Australia or Tokyo, Japan, because then I would have been to Australia or Japan.

7. What do you love most about college football in 20 words or less?

That it is a seamless combination of strategy, athleticism, personality, tradition, and violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home