Monday, August 14, 2006

Odds and Ends: We're Still Blogging

Several folks actually linked to the Lipton Article making it about the only thing I’ve ever written that people apparently actually liked. I don’t want to kill the theme too much so I’ll probably put the series under wrap until halfway through the football season. Believe it or not, it’s actually hard to come up with so many overbearing and undeserved statements of praise.

As for a few hits around the blogosphere:

Nathan hits us up two times, two times, with the funny. It’s good to have Nathan back in the blogging swing of things. Otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten the first part of his ratings for the SEC Mascots or a rather Lipton’esque video extolling the virtues of not only a Clemson education, but also Clemson’s mere existence.

Jeff shows us that Calvin Johnson is now a part of the ESPN hype machine by making their list of 2006 X-Men. Since comic books and Georgia Tech go together like peas and carrots, I wholeheartedly approve this endorsement.

PaulWesterDawg, one of my favorite crotch sniffers, hits one a little too close to home as he brings up the great dilemma of 2006: DragonCon or GT vs. ND. I wish I could still link to it, but I’m sure it’s scrolled off the Hive by now; last year some of the Auburn faithful were giving us grief and I went for the pre-emptive strike on a DragonCon joke. Of course the good natured Auburn folks got a laugh out of it, but the one douchebag Auburn fan couldn’t help pushing the bar a little. Most of us ignored him since we figured he was just killing time in his directed reading class anyway. But of course one champ had to take up the banner and defend Tech’s honor. How did he do this you might ask, by standing up and saying; “well I wasn’t even going to go to DragonCon, until I realized I had a friend coming in from out of town that was going. So I’m going with him.”

It was the granddaddy of all “I don’t believe I would have told that Brother John” moments that I have ever witnessed.

Non-GT:

Just a few quick observations about the Falcons game on Friday that I don’t want to spend a whole post on.

  1. VICK STOOD IN THE POCKET! VICK STOOD IN THE POCKET! – That was a rough impression of me on Friday night when Vick took the 2-yard dump to Warrick Dunn instead of running up the middle for 6 yards and a potential ruptured spleen up.

  2. The run defense was, uh how shall I put this . . . atrocious. For all of the talk about working on the run defense, Clock Killin Corey Dillon looked pretty damn good against the defense. And as much as he’s my boy and all Keith Brooking looked slow out there.

  3. I think we have a field goal kicker.

  4. The offense looked good for the most part and I was impressed with Shockley at the end of the game. Of course Randall had a good game too, so it’s probably still a tie on the field. The obvious love that a 3rd string QB got from the barking fans in oil stained overalls probably pushes him ahead from a pure marketing standpoint.

  5. It’s the first preseason game so I am reserving judgment until we have a few more of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home