Monday, October 02, 2006

Odds and Ends: Post VT Thoughts

Once again I leave all of the statistical analysis to other bloggers who are more qualified (read interested). I’ll just throw props to the entire team in what was possibly the best team performance since the 1998 game vs. UVA. We dominated in every facet of the game and it’s been a long time since I’ve seen that.

Good

The offense looked good when it was really needed and then looked a little confused to be up so early and so easily. Here’s hoping they don’ panic about scoring 3 touchdowns in a single quarter and keep that momentum rolling.

Calving Johnson has truly become a threat from anywhere on the field instead of just on the jump ball. Anybody that thinks Ted Ginn Jr. is a better receiver than Calvin or Dwayne Jarrett more likely than not rubs one out in the library on occasion. (Hell, Ginn isn’t a better receiver than Rodriguez.)

We lined up and powered the football some. The o-line finally played with some pride and Choice had the game I’ve been waiting for all season. He was dancing around the whole so much in the first 4 games that I thought we should get him a tutu.

I don’t think much else can be said about the defense other than they will cut you.

Whatever in the fuck the coaches are feeding the special teals, it needs to be doubled.

Bad

Reggie still looked like Reggie on the one interception. It was especially egregious, because he missed a WIDE open CJ in order to try and force a jump ball into a triple covered Greg Dunlap. The second INT was Calvin’s fault and there’s no arguing it. I don’t know if he thought the ball wasn’t coming his way, but if he looks for it then it’s a 30 yard completion or at least an incomplete.

I don’t know what it is that we put in the other teams water, but every game this season has seen on benefit from some egregious dropped passes. I don’t know if it’s the whacking we give the QB throughout the game, but I’m still a little concerned about the secondary if some of these get caught. On the plus side, we’re talking the best I’ve seen in years.

Ugly

I’m strongly considering becoming a college ref, because apparently the only requirement is breathing and the guy working the replay booth for Oregon\Oklahoma sounds like he was struggling with that. They completely choked on 3 reviewed calls (2 favoring VT and 1 favoring GT.) Threw an unsportsmanlike conduct flag on a single player TALKING to a huddle of opposing player’s around him and decided that it would just be legal for VT to hold for the last 7 minutes of the game. Frankly if you could bottle bowel cancer and send it as a gift I’d be willing to give it a shot.

Nathan covered it beautifully, but I’m giving an ugly to our fans that can’t be fucking happy at least once in their lives. I swear it shames me that I share a degree with most of these retards.


Odds and Ends:

Schadenfreude – Is the joy I take in the absolute implosion of Ted Roof and Bill O’Brien’s regime at Duke so wrong? I know most of the Hive rides Ted Roof’s black striped jock, but that fucker single handedly cost Joe Hamilton the Heisman trophy. Watching O’Brien call a game was like watching special Olympic basketball. You felt giggly, depressed, and shocked all at the same time. Gailey’s offense is dull as hell, but Billy O defined the word clusterfuck.

Maryland – I know we apparently have a lot of fans talking trash about this Maryland game and on paper we should definitely be making a sandwich with their cheese. But right now I’m still guarded. This game is the equivalent of Ike Turner standing outside on my porch with flowers and a contrite look on his face telling me how changed he is. Do I let him into my house and potentially take another NCSU\Utah or do I make him wait and prove to me that he’s changed? I’m currently cautiously optimistic due to a senior laden team that seems to enjoy sandwiches and the making there of, but Ike’s not coming into the house until Saturday night.

I’m sorry Kevin Nealon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiny correction: it was two blown reviews for GT and one for VT. I guess the ACC is experimenting with using Monkeys in the replay booth, because that's the only explanation I can think of for those three reviews. Don't forget the "pass interference" penalties either.

Also, I think Calvin just lost the ball in the sun. A VT WR did it on an earlier play at about the same spot on the field.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit, I confused "favoring" with "against" apparently. Sorry for that.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Queensjenn said...

Lovely bllog you have

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home